Sunday, March 18, 2007

Rocket Man


During my English class today we were studying a unit on space travel and the future. Deciding to get away from the usual hero worship of astronauts and focus on the more person side of it, we listened to "Space Oddity" (Ground control to Major Tom...) by David Bowie, and Elton John's "Rocket Man".

After discussing how lonely and dangerous it must be in space I asked the teenage students to write a letter to their parents, imagining they are alone in their very own "Tin Can".

This is what Tony wrote (grammar mistakes and all... they are after all still learning):

Dear Mum,

Now I am in the space and I'm very miss you. So I decide to write a letter to you. In the space, the sky is all black like my dirty shirt. I remember you washed my shirt and trousers. After you washed them they became very clean. At this time, I also wear these clothes so that I can feel your warm and kind.

Do you remember, when I was a child, I wished to be a 'Rocket Man'? Now I complete it, bring my dream as well as yours. Though I am far from the earth and far from you, our heart will be together forever.

Perhaps I can't come back home, the rocket is burning. I will see the god. And I will tell him to keep your life longer. Sorry mum, your dear son can't complete your life with you. But you should be happy, don't sad about that.

I will miss you forever, forever!

Your son,

Tony.

Words from a 14 year old boy that damn near made me cry right there in the middle of class.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I found this after image searching for Major Tom.

I gotta say, this made me cry. It's just so saddening yet hauntingly calm.