Monday, April 16, 2007

Real Woman

Yesterday, for the first time in the nearly two years I have been living in China, I tried on a pair of trousers off the rack and not only did I fit into them, but..... THEY WERE TOO BIG!!!!

I wish I could say that I have lost weight, but actually H&M have opened in Shanghai, a store previously unknown to me as an Australian, but now worshiped as my God.

Though I initially thought it ridiculous to have to line up outside the department store just to enter (I don't even line up for nightclubs), but once inside was overwhelmed by the cheap, reasonably fashionable clothing. In. My. Size.

I bought two pairs of trousers for about US$45, and walked out, feeling as if a weight had literally been lifted from my shoulders.

I used to have to remind myself, as I was told in every shop in Shanghai that I was "too fat for China" that I wasn't really a whale. But, depressed at not fitting into ANYTHING, I had grown to believe it.

Thank you H&M, for stocking "real woman" sizes in a land of waifs.

1 comment:

Mia said...

Viva el H&M! I was the same way in Egypt every where I went I was told I was too big for their clothing. I felt like I was living in the land of the anorexics. It seems the normal sized women had their clothing made or brought in from the states by relatives.