Thursday, January 25, 2007

more kids, less veg

The Duggar Family have been ridiculed on the internet for some time now, with their attempt to serve the lord by having 16 children (at last count, and Michelle is pregnant again with baby 17).

While I think that turning your uterous into a baby waterslide is nuts, I am not one to knock Jim Bob (yes, Jim Bob) and Michelle Duggar, since my own grandfather was one of 17 children.

I also think that it was rather ingenious of them to name all their kids starting with a 'J'- Joshua, twins Jana and John-David, Jill, Jessa, Jinger, Joseph, Josiah, Joy-Anna, twins Jeremiah and Jedidiah, Jason, James, Justin, Jackson, and Johannah Faith. It means that Michelle can bulk-buy clothing lables for 'J. Duggar' and never have to change the lables as the clothes/books/personal identies are passed down to each new child.

And how clever of them to build a 7000-square-foot house on 20 acres of land completely debt-free. Of course they don't actually mention just how much the donations helped.

But what I really wanted to write about is their diet. I came across their web-site and saw that Michelle has kindly published a recipe section. I thought to myself: "Wow, with 16 kids I bet that woman can make a mountain of food out of nothing", and so decided to check it out.

What I found, aside from a lot of ground chuck and ground turkey, was a grand total of three fresh vegetables in NINE pages of recipes. A few onions, one head of lettuce and one recipe requiring some cucumbers.

Now I know it is hard to get to the greengrocers when you have 16 kids (though they did buy a 24-seat bus), and yes, history shows us that while stock-piling for the second coming fresh vegetables are usually neglected.

But can somebody please tell me just what the hell are they using their 20 acres of land and16 kids worth of free labour for?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

...oufff!!

You definitely got me with this one.

I'm still trying to get passed the tongue twisting name list that I have re-read 5 times up to know and still got confused...

Anonymous said...

LOL! I love the last line. And what a great point you make. It's not that hard to grow some veg, even with less than an acre we are able to grow a lot of our produce in season. Maybe you need to submit that question directly to them. :)

Mignon said...

Instead of farmers they're just raising a bunch of babysitters. I'm sure that's what the kids are all doing - taking care of each other so mommy and daddy can keep on gettin' it on.

I looked at that picture and thought, "Damn! When did she have time to get those ratty hair extensions."

Louise said...

Actually Mignon, after I posted this I did a little more reading on their website- it turns out that each of the older children have a younger buddy or two to dress wash etc in the morning; that the 13 year old makes lunch for the family, and that the 14 year old makes dinner. AND all their laundry is done by the "Angel God sent them" in the form of their piano teacher who actually "likes" doing laundry.
So yes, now we know where Mr and Mrs D get the time to make babies.

Anonymous said...

How did you hear that they were pregnant again? Do they just go and call the media everytime they get pregnant? Talk about glory hounds! And they think that they are giving God the glory?!?

Louise said...

I just get riled up that they always proclaim to live a "debt-free" life- if I had that many donations and help from good-doers I would live debt-free too