Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Highlights of Thailand

We arrived back from a week spent in glorious Krabi, Thailand yesterday morning. Shanghai is currently about 5C, and compared to the balmy sunny days in Thailand, it is my idea of hell on earth. I have a monster-truckload of things to do asap including writing curriculums (curriculae?) for my art classes this semester, writing promotional material for my exhibit, teaching and... oh yeah, painting three more paintings! With no more time to spare, here are the highlights of Thailand:

  • Lying by the pool or taking long boats to the chrystal blue beaches surrounding Ao Nang.
  • Having a two hour oil massage for $10.
  • Laughing at Phil during his massage as he was pummelled by a 6'4" 'woman' with a Barry Mannilo voice and a five o'clock shaddow.
  • sitting by the side of a lagoon trying my hand at batik painting and having the thai batik teacher break into song with "I come from the land down under" upon finding out that I do, indeed, come from the land Down Under.
  • Riding in the back of a ute/pick-up when catching local busses.
  • Having enough room in the king-sized hotel bed that I am not squashed by Phil every night when he rolls over.
  • Loving the friendly, laid-back Thai culture.

There were more, but right now my brain is too frozen to remember them so I'll have to leave you with just these. Expect more when I readjust.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well I gotta say that the massage girl... erm... guy... no, wait, girl... ermm.. thing! was quite good at his/her/it job. Barry had a nice personality after all...

and as for the bed... well... in my defence it was great to have enough rooms to get away from the snores of certain sleepers...

...though I do admit that I do get physical with Lou during my sleep, elbow in the face, knee in the thighs... it's not my fault, I'm just trying to fit in small chinese beds - like a giant in a matchbox.