Thursday, February 22, 2007

Deaf and blind

Ok, so I said in my last that there are fireworks literally outside our window, but I thought some of you may need visual proof. The building in this photo is the "twin" to our building- it is about 100 metres away, and identical to ours. The photos were taken from our 7th floor balcony last night, during EIGHT HOURS of solid, non-stop explosions not just in our neighbourhood, but all over Shanghai (and indeed China).




Just in case you think they look fairly harmless, remember that each one comes with a massive explosion that rocks the floors and walls, and rattles (in some cases shattering the windows). This is amplified by the fact that the fireworks are being set off between these two buildings in a rather enclosed space, with scant (actually no) regard to safety. I've even seen parents encouraging their kids to aim firworks out the windows of buildings at bicycles, cars and even people.

The following photos capture a little better just how powerful these explosives are:


For reports on fireworks casualties in China read here

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's way too close for comfort. I was going to say I lived near Darling Harbour for a while and all of January was pretty much like you describe Chinese New Year there, but after seeing the pictures it was NOTHING like it! The fireworks at Daring Harbour were at least supplied and managed by professionals, and kept a fairly discreet distance away from us.

Might be an idea to schedule a holiday overseas for New Year 2008...

Louise said...

I definitely think it's a good idea not to be in Shanghai during the new year celebrations.
I think I wouldn't mind it if it was just for ten or 15 minutes and then stopped, but it's the constant barrage of them that is doing my head in.
I used to think a harbour view would be nice during the sydney new year celebrations... but right now I don't care if I never see another firework display again!

Mia said...

8 hrs? Oh heck no. I love fire works but I can't front after 30 mins on the 4th of July it loses its' appeal to me. Wonderful shots!

Anonymous said...

They look very pretty and you had the best seat in the house (along with thousands of others) - but maybe being there isn't so fun?

Louise said...

Yeah they are very pretty, and it's certainly an interesting time of year... but I think one time in my life is enough!!

Gabby Girl said...

Phil and I got some videos of our night and Hangzhou and we are going to post them as soon as we have a home again. It was the craziest thing I have ever seen in my entire life. I'll never forget it. Nice shots. I tried doing something similar, but my camera hates me!