Monday, November 13, 2006

whinge, binge, cringe

I apologise for the whinging post of last week, and the lack of posting in general. I am just not feeling this email-posting thing- doesn't really feel like blogging, and as I can't access my blogger account there is no way I can edit or change any posts after they are published... talk about performance pressure. The outcome: expect A LOT of typos in the comming posts.

Also I am totally bummed that for the time being I can't post my photos of the Family Magical Mystery Tour of China (aside from the fact that I haven't even had a chance yet to sit down, sort, edit and resize the images yet anyway).  However, I am issuing a desperate plea to any of you technologically advanced examples of the human species out there in cyberworld- if you can think of a way I can by-pass the beta-blogger sign in page to get to my account, please please PLEASE let me know.

Oh and thanks to Mia for the metaphorical chunk of rescue Edam, it tasted so good in my mind!

So there you have it: a ridiculously short post in which i apologise for whinging in the last post, and continue to whinge in this one. Did I even spell 'whinge' correctly? Oh who cares... Whinge complete- over and out.

2 comments:

Mignon said...

Sorry, can't help. Can't blogger help? Is that question as ridiculous as it sounds?

And are you trying to spell whine? Pronounced like the drink? Or a word rhyming with binge (as suggested in your title)?

Phil said...

This is Gabe...

Ah ha! I think that my Phil has found a solution to your evil China problem. Before I could not post comments on your blog, but with the thing Phil found, I can. Yippy Skippy. But anyway, here is the low down.

This is Phil. To use your beta blogger, you need to download the Tor, Privoxy, and Vidalia package.

You can download it here...
http://tor.eff.org/dist/vidalia-bundles/vidalia-bundle-0.1.1.25-0.0.7.exe

Install it first.

You'll need to use Mozilla Firefox as your browser. If you do not have it... You can download it here...
http://www.mozilla.org

You'll then need the FoxyProxy extension for firefox. You can download that here...
http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/extensions/foxyproxy/foxyproxy-2.2.1-fx+fl.xpi

Once you've downloaded it, you need to restart Firefox to install it. It'll ask you to go through a setup for FoxyProxy when you start Firefox.

1. Click "Yes" to configure FoxyProxy for use with Tor.

2. Click "With" for using Tor with Privoxy.

3. Click "Yes" for you still like Firefox to use Tor.

4. Click "OK" for port 8118.

5. Click "Yes" for DNS requests to go through the Tor network.

6. Click on "Add New Pattern".
Type "Beta Blogger" for the name.
Type in "https://beta.blogger.com/*" for the URL and click OK.
Remember to leave out the quotes.

Click on "Add New Pattern" again.
Type "Blogspot" for the name.
Type in "*.blogspot.com/*" for the URL and click "OK".

7. Click "OK" for the Proxy Settings window.

8. Click "OK" for the Congratulations window.

9. Click on "Yes" to restart firefox.

Now your blogger site should work as normal.

If you still have trouble "Add New Pattern" like you did the others...
Make the name "Blogger" and the url "*.blogger.com/*".

You can do this for any site blocked in China.

To get to the place to "Add New Pattern", click "Tools" at the top of Firefox, click on "FoxyProxy", click on "More", click on "Options", click on "Tor", click on "Edit Selection", and then you can click on the "Add New Pattern" button.

Hope this helps.