Friday, November 24, 2006

The me I was.

After thinking about my post from yesterday, I was reminded of this line from the end of The Motorcycle Diaries:

"I am not me anymore. At least I am not the same me I was."

There are so many experiences in life that can produce such a feeling, for example becoming a parent or the death of a loved one. However, one quick and certain way to feel like this is to live in a foriegn country for a while, and I certainly feel as though, after 6 years of travel, I am not the same me I was.

I'm interested to hear your feelings and experiences regarding this topic- what changed you from 'the you you were'?

1 comment:

Mia said...

Now that’s a loaded question. I haven’t lived in another country but moving from the upper west side of Manhattan as a 13 year old to the Bronx definitely changed me. I went from a busy bustling 24-07 culturally diverse neighborhood to a cul de sac where all the stores closed by 6pm the nearest grocery store was a mile away and if I wanted to go shopping I had to take a 30 minute bus ride into another neighborhood. Not to mention in order to get the subway I had to take a 15 minute bus ride. In this neighborhood a car was a must! I grew up a block away from Central Park and the Museum of Natural History so these places were my daily hangout spots. On the upper west side my friends were the kids and grandkids of people who had grown up with either my parents or my grandparents. In short it was definitely a sort of culture shock everything and everyone was so different!