Wednesday, April 19, 2006

The Rabbits Lived!!

They are alive! They are home, tucked into their little beds (i.e. litter boxes) munching away on hay. They are admitedly a little druged up, but getting back to their antics slowly.
I had convinced myself that they would die on the operating table, as it is a very risky procedure here in China. I was so convinced they had died that by the time I rang the vet at 4pm yesterday afternoon (with fingernails bitten down to the quick) the conversation went like this:

Me: "Hi this is Louise, I'm calling to check on my two rabbits" (voice unnaturally high as if being strangled from the inside)
Receptionist: "OK wait a moment I check" (followed by rapid chinese conversation with someone at the other end of the line. I desperately rack my brains to remember the word 'dead' in chinese. I'm positive they are discussing how to break the news to me.)
---------------agonising wait--------------------
Receptionist: "Ok, the vet says you can pick them up by 6pm"
Me: "Huh?" (She wants me to come and collect their dead bodies??)
Receptionist: "You can take them home."
Me: "What? So they are ok?? They're alive??!!"
Receptionist: "Yes"
Me: "OHMYGODTHANKYOUI'LLBERIGHTTHERE!!!!!!!"
Receptionist: "er... ok...."

So against all odds the rabbits lived. All that worry and expense (and oh my god! the expense!), and the little buggers are fine.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YEY!!!!!
I'm so happy!
That must be your belated Easter present!
Love Liz

Anonymous said...

Great to hear - here's hoping it curbs their, um, fascination with each other!