Monday, July 25, 2005

(not) Packing

Sitting on my living room floor, surrounded by half-packed boxes I am pondering how it is possible for one person to accumulate this much "stuff". In just 10 days I shall be boarding a plane to Shanghai, and in the meantime I have to pack my entire Sydney life into numerous cardboard boxes. I am planning on being away for a few years at least, so I wonder if I will I even want this stuff when I return?

Mum and my sister Liz have their own opinions on the subject:
"Oh, you won't need that jumper in Shanghai, I'll look after it for you..."
"Hmmmm... that painting would go nicely in the front bedroom..."
"I'll put those palms on the verandah..."

Like vultures devouring the carcass of my 'old' life, they have swooped on my possessions faster than you can say "scavenger".

I am moving out of my flat in Sydney this Friday, and before that I am working a 45 hour week. Where does that leave time for packing? I am so behind in getting my place sorted out, that I haven't even begun to think about actually packing my bags for China.

I suspect that come next Thursday, Shanghai will be receiving a broken shadow of my former self.

Note to Self: Learn "I'll have a gin and tonic please" in Mandarin.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great site,
John Rowan

Anonymous said...

I have not been here to scavenge your 'old' life! I have been on my honeymoon thank you very much!

Anonymous said...

As husband and father of the 'scavengers', I am not going to comment. Tho' I love the site.
HHD.

Anonymous said...

Actually, the painting looks better in Liz's old room rather than the front bedroom! And I'm still sure you won't need to take that new poncho/shawl you bought!

'er

Louise said...

Liz, you WERE eying off the pictures, esp the buddha painting last time you were here... thank YOU very much!

Anonymous said...

Actually no I wasn't - and if I was in any way it was because it's good - not because I want it! I have enough of my own pictures for the walls. Just remember who has agreed to help you pack on friday....

Louise said...

Did I say scavenger? I meant saviour...