Thursday, December 28, 2006

disconnected

In most recent news- and this is all hearsay as you will soon find out, so correct me if I'm wrong- a large earthquake hit Taiwan yesterday, severing the two sole cables that connect mainland China with internet from the rest of the world. As a result internet access yesterday has been slow, if indeed at all, and (here's the hearsay part) I am unable to see any international news sites to confirm the story.

Why would a country as big as China have only two cables in the same location, you ask? Control. Up to this point it worked quite nicely to control the news and information that came into China. However, the huge push these days to attract international business to China, and with the Chinese sights set on the WTO, severing the net access to the rest of the world is BAD for business (no matter how good it is for the propaganda machines), and it will be interesting to see if the govt will continue with just two in the future.

If anyone would like to email me with actual news about the earthquake and the implication in China, I'd appreciate it- send it on along to lou_adele@yahoo.com.au with the article pasted into the email (not linked or I won't be able to read it!!). Thanks!

In other news, the mothership made contact with Shanghai on Sunday- yes, Phil's mother arrived from Montreal, bearing gifts and jet-lag. A random comment made months ago about the fact that clothes here are all too small for me, and that Phil needed new sweaters, resulted in the Sweater Fairy generously waving her magic wand over both our stockings- we now have more sweaters than we can imagine, and with the current weather it is greatly appreciated. We are preparing to head off for a week of sunshine in Thailand next Tuesday, and Manny will be joining us so more photos will be coming.

I am now officially on the countdown to my exhibition opening in February. Actually I am totally freaking out, with only three weeks to finish 6 paintings, and am predicting some all-nighters reminiscent of the old university days. Better get back to it.....
 

5 comments:

Mia said...

(trips, stumbles into room blows on horn) Harpy,ehh i mean Heppy, no no that's not it Hoppy New Bear! Dagnafit that's not it either (looks in cup...sheesh what's in this stuff anyway?) ahem allow me to try this again...Happy, Happy New Year!

verniciousknids said...

Happy New Year!

And the Taiwan earthquake really did happen!

Girl Clumsy said...

Hey Louise,

Greetings from a fellow traveller about to go home once more...

Was just checking out your art site. Do you sell your paintings? I really liked your styles, and I've really gotten into art while travelling, as I want to put some nice pieces in my flat.

Good luck with your exhibition - I will send you an email when I get home and get some money together and hopefully I can buy something from you!

Cheers, Natalie.

Mignon said...

First, I have no idea the implication of the severing of cables and so on and so forth. We have one cable for news coming in and out of this house, and right now I'm using that cable to shop for a cheap pair of shoes and to read blogs.

Second, I am still very excited about hanging some of your art in my house, but I am also still very stuck in my old not-selling house. Someday my prince will come (and buy my house so I can move out of this god-forsaken subdivision).

Third, happy sweaters! I love sweaters. I'm very happy for you and your new sweaters.

Louise said...

Thanks to everyone who sent info about the quakes, especially Mia, Liz and Sally.

Happy new year to all of you here, and nice to see you back here Natalie- I hope you enjoyed your trip as much as I enjoyed reading about it. (and in response to your question I do sell paintings, so if there is something you particularly like drop me an email at loudcreations@gmail.com)

Mignon, I love sweaters too, especially in this weather! I hope your house sells soon- I hate that stuck-in-limbo feeling when you've decided to move but can't get out just yet. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the rich prince arrives soon... or a conveniently destructive fire breaks out whilst all your fave possessions are in storage, and your insurance policies are up to date... hehehe, no, I did not just say that!

Anyway Happy new year to all of you!